Halloween is coming up and many dangers, temptations and toxins are lurking around the corner! Take time to prepare and make sure your pet is safe. Listen to one of the experts in the video below.
1. Chocolate- causes vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis hyperactivity and in severe case seizures and possibly death
2. Candy with Xylitol (an artificial sweetener)- can cause liver failure
3. Candy wrappers, lollipop sticks, food items, & costume pieces can cause vomiting, diarrhea and may become stuck in the intestines requiring hospitalization and surgery
4. Burns from decorations or lighting. A lit candle knocked over by a pet may start a fire
5. Increased number of lost pets- make sure your pet is micro-chipped and has proper identification tags. Keep gates closed & pets in a secured area of the house. If going out, keep your pet on a leash at all times and put lights or reflective gear on them so that can more easily be seen at night.
6. Stress and anxiety from numerous strangers in costumes visiting. Consider crate training, keeping them in a quiet, dark room with ambient nose (TV), medications or boarding your pet if known high anxiety level
If you have an emergency or just have questions, call us at 808-944-0003 during regular business hours or for our clients after hours at 808-368-0655